Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Jury Duty

Can’t find the answer? Call (330) 287-5650 during normal business hours.

View by Category

How do I know if my request for excusal was accepted?

The trial Judge will either approve or deny your request prior to your date of service.  The Court will notify you either by mail, telephone, or email only if your request was denied or if the Judge requires more information to make their determination

How do I request to be excused from jury duty?

All requests for absence must be submitted in writing.  You must include your juror number on the request.

What reasons will the court accept to be excused from jury duty?

If you need to be excused from jury duty, the ONLY reasons the Court will consider as valid for an excused absence are:

  • Extended absence from Wayne County (for example, service in the armed forces, attendance at an out-of-area college or university, etc.); if this is your situation, please send a letter immediately indicating so.
  • Illness requiring the care of a physician on the date you are to appear. A request to be excused from service for this reason will require a medical doctor’s written excuse.
  • Vacation, business trips, or any other short-term absence from Wayne County will not be considered an excused absence UNLESS THE COURT IS NOTIFIED 2-3 WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE DATES YOU WILL BE GONE. You must let us know of any dates you will be on vacation, preferably as soon as possible, but in no event later than 2-3 weeks prior to the date you will be leaving.
Is lunch served during the course of a trial?

Typically, the court breaks for lunch during the trial but the amount of time for lunch is predicated upon how the trial is progressing.  In the event you are seated on the jury, you are responsible for your own lunch.  There are numerous restaurants within walking distance of the court.

What number do I call to see if I am needed for jury service?
The automated response number to be called after 5:00 p.m. the day before you are to report for service is 330-287-5662.
What if I need accommodations to be able to serve?

If you need any accommodation due to a disability or for another reason, please notify the Court in writing 2 to 3 weeks in advance of your scheduled service date.

Is there parking?

Public parking is available in the lot designated for courthouse parking on North Grant Street. This lot is directly across the street from the main entrance and loop in front of the courthouse. The loop is for drop-off and pick-up only.

What are the hours?
How much do I get paid and how do I collect it?
How do I get selected?

Voter registration lists are placed into a computer after the November election and prospective jurors are randomly selected. Your name was on the list for this term.